Re: gEDA-user: Success with gEDA tools...

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 11:45 -0700, Dave N6NZ wrote:
> Steven Michalske wrote:
>
> >>  Worked almost right away.  Note red wire and missing pullup. Keeps me
> >>  humble.
> >
> > Green wires are less humbling, i suggest them.
>
> I look at design efforts like golf.  Low scores are better, but nobody
> plays a round with 18 holes-in-one in a row.
>
> My most humbling: back in the 1980's I wrote an ECO with about 15 lifted
> pins and 50 or so red wires, a chip glued onto the board "dead bug
> style", plus a piece of coax (!). (Didn't catch *that* case in
> simulation....)  This on a board with about 180 TTL packages.

I just got a board back which the assembler rather keenly produced from
draft files I'd sent during initial discussions.

Clearly labelled next to one part with silk-screen on the board
"BUG: CAPACITOR SILK +/- SWAPPED" (discovered during in-house
prototyping, but I'd not got around to fixing it when I sent the draft
files).

They stuffed the capacitor according to the silk (wrong), and didn't
notice / think to check with me what this strange silk-screen text was
about!

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,