gEDA-user: how to represent an electrode in a schematic

For the following questions refer to figure 1.1 of the attached doc.  Figure 10 in the touch secrets doc is how I'd like to configure the led and electrode.

I'd like to use a ring electrode with a back-firing smt led centered in the ring.  Regarding drawing the schematic for the qtouch sensor, should I omit the electrodes leaving the resistors hanging and add the smt pad in PCB?  Otherwise, I'm wondering how to represent the electrode symbol for the schematic.  Would it have a pin to connect a trace to?  I guess the footprint would have a smt pad with the diameter I want and then an inner diameter big enough to accommodate the led.  Then place the back-firing footprint inside the ring electrode.  My hurdle now is representing the electrode in the schematic.

Thanks