Re: gEDA-user: Purpose of locking

On Jul 21, 2008, at 12:43 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> Can anyone tell me the exact purpose of locking a part? First I
>> thought
>> it is used to keep the part from accidental move.
>
> That's what I use it for.  I have a template for one of my projects
> that has all the connectors that match the headers in a common board;
> the connectors are locked so that they remain in the right place to
> mate with the other board.

That's a PCB answer. A gschem answer is that there are things like
titleblocks you rarely wish to select, so you lock them to make them
invisible to the selection mechanism. Otherwise, clicking anywhere in
the title block tends to select it instead of the thing you want.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx