Re: gEDA-user: Using Veroboard style layouts in gEDA pcb ?

On 24/07/2008, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 12:57 +0100, Simon Clubley wrote:
>  >
>  > The way that Vutrax works is that it has the ability to execute a script
>  > file and the Vutrax owners have implemented a script that draws a
>  > series of tracks, 0.1 inch apart, with through holes in each track at
>  > 0.1 inch distances.
>
> This should be possible using PCB. PCB doesn't have a built in scripting
>  language, however since it uses a text based file-format, it is very
>  easy to automate generating such layouts with a shell script / perl /
>  awk / python / ..... program.

That's a _very_ interesting approach and one well worth looking into, thanks.

I'm still finding my way around the gEDA world. Is there a common library of
user routines to manipulate the file formats that I haven't come across yet ?

Looking around, I've found scripts to do specific tasks, but have not
yet found a
general low-level support library that you can call from your own scripts.

>  > The script places the generated tracks on it's own layer (in this case,
>  > layer 10) and the through holes connect them to the rest of the circuit.
>
> Do you then remove the through-holes in favour of placing specific
>  component footprints?
>
>  Do you go into layer 10, then delete and re-add segments where you want
>  to break a vero-trace?

No, I just place down a marker. The details are in the Application Note that I
posted the link to earlier if you are interested.

>  The only issue I can see doing this with PCB, is that you may need to be
>  creative when selecting footprints for things with leads, like
>  resistors. (Depending on lead spacing / how you want to bend them).

Yes, this is an issue. You definitely have to choose components with a 0.1 inch
pitch when doing layouts.

>  How do you do flexible jump wires?
>
>  I've done this myself by using tracks on another spare layer, but you
>  have to avoid crossing the through-holes otherwise it would short things
>  out.

I also place the jump wires on a different layer, also avoiding the
through holes. :-)

>  Regards,
>
>  --
>  Peter Clifton

Thanks for the suggestions that you've given above.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley
simon.clubley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx