gEDA-user: OT: I hate footprints

It seems the only way to deal with them is to create each footprint from
scratch eachtime I have to use one. Nearly eachtime I try to use an
existing footprint things turn out wrong.
There seems to be nearly no standardization in these things. Each chip
manufacturer gives them a different name, pcb uses yet another one (if a
footprint exits). Different manufacturers call different sizes by the
same name. You never know how wide something calles SOP really is etc.
So for my latest board I needed something called TSOP-28 in the
datasheet. I found something by the same name in pcb. I carefully
checked dimensions. They matched. I created a geda symbol. Today I got
the chips and started soldering. Then I noticed something seemed wrong.
The manufacturer had used a different pin numbering.

Why can't manufacturers just provide footprint and symbol in some
standard format that all programs could import? I feel like I spend a
large part of the time it takes to design a pcb drawing symbols,
footprints, etc.

Philipp