Re: gEDA-user: RFC: Towards a better symbol/package pin-mapping strategy

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 00:22:08 -0400, evan foss wrote:

>> And then offer a GUI to select from the list of footprints within
>> gschem.
>
> It would be so cool if you could call pcb to render the footprint in a
> little window as a part of that GUI. This might make dependencies a mess
> though.

It doesn't have to be rendered image. A list of preselected footprints
associated with a symbol would go a long way. Why not support an
attribute "list-of-footprints" in the symbol? This list could be tuned to
fit the local combination of symbol and footprint lib.

Protel98 provides this kind of preselected footprints. It was five
entries maximum and we cursed Altium for this restriction. Consequently,
I really miss this feature in gschem.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak