Re: gEDA-user: Toporouter Changes

Ethan Swint wrote:

>> Yes, you've just described geometric constraints in great detail. :P As I
>> understand it, topological constraints are something completely different!
>>

> A little late to the discussion, but here's my $0.02: topological router
> is the only practical way of finding prospective routes between two
> points, but the geometric constraints are what really matter (provided a
> path is found!) to the performance of the circuit.
> So once a topological solution is provided, optimizing artificial
> potential or cost functions based on geometric and electromagnetic
> criteria would be the best way to route within a Voronoi cell, possibly
> with an edge from the corresponding Delaunay diagram as a starting
> candidate.  (It looks like this may be the way it's done already?) If
> multiple paths are found, the 'best' path would be chosen by evaluating
> the cost functions.

Hmm.. for example, if there is some EMC consideration which might lead a
human to make a geometric constraint, wouldn't it be possible to define
those EMC constraints so that the toporouter can make the same decisions
the human did, with the aid of in-layout simulation? And cut out the
middle man, so to speak.

Cheers,
Anthony