Re: gEDA-user: TI's "SOT25" DBV footprint...

Duncan Drennan wrote:
>> TI's sn74lvc1g240 part uses what appears dimensionally to be an ordinary
>> SOT25 package, but the pin numbering is different.  Am I better off to
>> just construct my own footprint, or is there a way to deal with this at
>> the symbol level and still show the right pin numbers in the schematic?
>>

> I'm pretty sure everyone will have a different way to deal with this.
> My personal preference is to keep the footprint consistent and have
> different symbols for variances in pin numbering.
>
> My reasoning: the footprint is a physical description of a component
> and can represent multiple components. The schematic is the logical
> description and the logic (pin numbering in this case) varies for
> different components.

So, you're suggesting that I use the standard SOT25 footprint that comes
with pcb, and then somehow craft a gschem symbol that shows pin numbers
consistent with the sn74lvc1g240 datasheet but binds properly to the
standard footprint?

I suppose one way to do that would be to put ordinary text where the
pinnumber= value is usually displayed.  Anyone have any other ideas?

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx