Re: gEDA-user: multi-part symbol support

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:36:53 -0600, John P. Doty wrote:

> Anything that goes into a BOM, for example. That's an open ended list,

ack.

> A one-shot solution for each attribute won't work.

ack.

> Nor, I think, is it right to do
> this for all attributes, as "source" is potentially properly multiple,
> and we shouldn't preclude other such attributes.

Almost all attributes should be made unique with regard to the refdes.
Therefore it is better to define a set exceptions. The information which
attributes are exceptions must reside somewhere. Hard coded into the
source is clearly no good option. Somewhere in the config files is an
invitation for inconsistency problems. It  would make a *.sch file even
less selfcontained. You'd have to always ship a gnetrc along with
schematic file.

So the information should be included in the schematic. It would be
possible to read gnetlist options from global attributes of the schematic
or from attributes of the title page. However, I'd be wary to introduce
yet another way to pass options to gaf applications.

But how about this:

Require, that every attribute is unique within the set of symbols with
the same refdes. But add the notion of lists as values of an attribute.
Instead of multiple attributes there would be multiple values of an
attribute. As an aside, this would resolve possible ambiguity about the
priority of attributes. A list is ordered in an intuitive way. An
additional benefit is, that the multiple values cannot be scattered over
multiple symbols. This reduces the chance of confusion.

Value lists would come handy with my other most wanted gschem feature,
too: Present a selection of reasonable footprints in the attribute editor
of gschem. The list of reasonable footprints should be a property of the
symbol and it should be adapted to the preferences of the site or
project.

What would be a sensible syntax for lists of values?
The attribute name should contain the information, that the attribute can
contain a list. Else, simple string values might be misinterpreted to be
lists. An intuitive way to mark an attribute as a list would be to
require "list_of_" at the start of the name. List items might be
separated by semicolons.

Bottom line: I propose to make every attribute in a set of multi part
symbols unique during gnetlist runs. If more than one value of a
attribute is required for some purpose, this can be achieved with a list
of values.

Do you see a flaw in this approach?

---<(kaimartin)>---
--