Re: gEDA-user: examples of edge connectors

>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM, David Griffith <dgriffi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Can someone point me to something on making gold-plated edge connectors? I'm
>> trying to find the footprints and how to tell the fabber that gold needs to
>> be there.
>>
>> --
>> David Griffith
>> dgriffi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:56 AM, timecop <timecop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just make regular pads and put them to the edge of PCB.
> Then tell them you either want ENIG coating for entire board (you do
> anyway if you're solderpasting) or ask to do "gold fingers" just for
> the edge connector part.
>
> You can also just leave them as bare copper, but that probably wont last long.

EING coating is not the same as the "gold fingers" process.  EING will
produce a very thin layer of gold (which is necessary for good solder
joints, and also much cheaper than thick gold over the whole board).
Using EING for an edge connector will provide little to no benefit as
compared to a standard board.

See this link for a reference on EING:
http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/0143_cfng/index.html#2
which states:

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:57 AM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I suggest a phone call or email to ask them what they want you to say :-)

Yup, probably the best plan.  When you call, also ask if they bevel
the edges for you - Most places will.
--
Kevin Vermeer

@David - Did I do the non-top-posting thing right?  gmail seems to
want to do it exactly wrong, and I want to avoid messing with this
list (which seems to alternate between top-posting and not).  This
question can fork a new thread if it needs to, or just a PM if you
want.   First post, BTW.