Re: gEDA-user: gschem font scaling

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 12:51 +0100, Peter TB Brett wrote:

> Prior to 1.6, I considered the fact that print font sizes didn't match
> screen font sizes to be a bug that needed fixing, and I'm pleased that it's
> now been fixed.

I really consider it not a bug. When I started with gEDA years ago I
read a note that smaller font in printout was intended. And for me that
made sense at that time, because printer resolution is much higher than
screen resolution. So I always used the default configuration, and
optimized my schematics for a fine looking printout.

> Both your schematic printouts are perfectly legible.  Where's the problem?

For my feeling, printing my existing schematics make them look ugly, to
dense filled.

Indeed there is an easy solution for new schematics: Use a larger
title-block, and draw the schematic with more distance between symbols.
I have seen this style in various data-sheets, it may be fine. But it
does not really help for existing schematics.

But I still think that it would be very fine to have the ability to
scale font size in printout. "What you see is what you get" is fine, so
default print size should match screen size, as now. But I can imagine
at least one case where one may desire a tiny font: In early draft state
of schematics, when one wants to discuss functionality, and do not care
about refdes (and value). Later, in production and repair, larger
letters may be needed. An other case is for schematics in text books,
authors may like large or tiny letters.

Of course we do not need a separate scale for printout -- if there was a
way to scale all text in gschem, we can do that just before printing.

Related to this problem is the ability to suppress text totally, i.e.
the pin numbers, the refdes, the value... And related may be the ability
to scale line width, some text book authors may like thicker lines.

Of course we have more serious problems...

Best regards

Stefan Salewski