Re: gEDA-user: gschem font scaling

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:06:14 +0200, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I really think it is too large in printout.
>
> You may compare a recent printout from gEDA 1.6.1 at
>
> http://www.ssalewski.de/tmp/AmplifierCh1.pdf
>
> with old 1.4.3 printout at
>
> http://www.ssalewski.de/AmplifierCh1.pdf
>
> Whenever possible, we should have access at runtime to default screen
> and printout font size.

Hi Stefan,

The e-mail you replied to explained the design considerations that lead to
the decision to change the printed font scale factor in the 1.6 release.
Many hours -- indeed, weeks -- were spent agonising over the best approach
to minimize compatibility issues with older designs, and I believe that
what we have now represents the least bad option.  I for one greatly
appreciate the fact that font sizes are consistent between screen and
print, and that my existing symbol libraries are unaffected.

It is highly likely that in a future release we will move to using the same
underlying Cairo rendering infrastructure for both screen rendering and
printing, in order to simplify the source code and further increase output
consistency. In that case, using different font scales for screen and print
would be an unnecessary pain.  I believe that the decision not to add
configuration variables that would inevitably be removed again at some time
in the future was a good one, especially given the fact that a vanishingly
small proportion of gEDA users would make use of them.

Prior to 1.6, I considered the fact that print font sizes didn't match
screen font sizes to be a bug that needed fixing, and I'm pleased that it's
now been fixed.

Both your schematic printouts are perfectly legible.  Where's the problem?

Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Remote Sensing Research Group