Re: gEDA-user: Migration form eagle to gEDA

On Jul 25, 2011, at 11:33 PM, bsalinux@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I would like to know any functional (not monetary) advantages of gEDA
> over eagle, I assume that there are many.

gEDA can export netlists to many tools (including Eagle), not just pcb. These include simulators like SPICE and gnucap. It can also export circuit equations to Mathematica (and perhaps Sage someday) for symbolic circuit analysis and very fast linear numerical analysis.

Separating footprint from symbol reflects reality. What's the footprint of a resistor? Footprint is not even solely a property of the physical component: the same component package may have different footprints for different fabrication processes. In aerospace, footprints often change between prototype and production.

The gEDA schematic file format is easy to parse and synthesize, leading to a variety of specialized tools for manipulating schematics and symbols.

gEDA is not limited to printed circuits. I've done ASIC design with it, and I've heard of hydraulic design.

In short, gEDA is a flexible toolkit without the limits inherent in an integrated tool. You can adapt it to the needs of your job, rather than having to adapt your job to the tool.

Have a look at gedasymbols.org for a smorgasbord of user-contributed symbols, footprints, and tools.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx