Re: gEDA-user: Migration form eagle to gEDA

Thanks for the detailed steps Colin.

Sorry I was not clear I was looking to migrate as a user. Although I
have a license for eagle but sometime get limited by the number of
schematic sheets. So far I haven't reached max board size. I have
moderately large customized libraries on eagle. I use git with my
current setup as my version control mech.

Couple of days back I was able to create a test schematic on gschem
but it was not obvious to transfer the schematic to PCB. I guess it
will take time to learn.

So far I made a few observations comparing eagle:

1. Schematic & board are decoupled so any changes to schematic need to
be re-synced to the board. I haven't figured out the way yet.
2. Symbol and footprint libraries are decoupled for the above reasons.
3. A schematic element doesn't necessarily have a footprint assigned
by default. Maybe because gschem can be used standalone (not for PCB)

I would like to know any functional (not monetary) advantages of gEDA
over eagle, I assume that there are many.

Regards,

Chetan Bhargava