Re: gEDA-user: Migration form eagle to gEDA

Hi Abhijit,

I looked at your site. Your tutorial document is pretty good.

Regards,

Chetan Bhargava

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Abhijit Kshirsagar
<abhijit86k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Recently I wrote a small script to automate some of the things needed
>   to be done after the gEDA tools are installed:
>   such as setting up per-user symbols and footprint directories; and
>   adding these to the gafrc and gschemrc files, etc...
>   The script (Setup_gEDA.sh) is well commented and can be downloaded from
>   here:
>   [1]http://sites.google.com/site/abhijit86k/linux/geda
>   Its really quite basic, but i hope it helps someone...
>   Thanks and Regards,
>   ~Abhijit
>
>   On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 22:41, Colin D Bennett <[2]colin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>   wrote:
>
>   On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:17:39 -0700
>   "[3]bsalinux@xxxxxxxxx" <[4]bsalinux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   > I guess that his question might have been asked before but is there
>   > any howto or tutorial to migrate from Eagle to gEDA?
>   > I tried Google searches but no meaningful information has been found.
>
>     Do you mean migration of particular designs (schematic/layout),
>     importing them to gEDA?
>     Or do you mean migrating as a user?
>     I have never used Eagle, so I can't be of any specific assistance in
>     that regard. Â However, I can say that while there are tutorial on
>     gschem/PCB and the general gEDA workflow, there is a need for a
>     good,
>     complete tutorial for new users.
>     Because gEDA is designed to support a wide variety of uses and
>     workflow
>     methods, I feel it is not immediately clear to new users how to
>     proceed.
>     Let me share my basic process for designing a circuit and PCB so you
>     can get a feel for how the tools might be used:
>     0.) Set up a revision control system.
>     Â  Â Something modern like git or Bazaar is best.
>     Â  Â Commit frequently, and write descriptive commit messages!
>     Â  Â (I find this useful as a journal or log to come back to myself
>     about
>     Â  Â what I've done on the design, not to mention saving yourself
>     from
>     Â  Â screwups...)
>     1.) Draw schematic with gschem, placing symbols and drawing net
>     Â  Â connections.
>     Â  Â Various steps required as part of drawing the basic schematic:
>     Â  Â - Import any special symbols not in the default library from
>     Â  Â  Â [5]gedasymbols.org
>     Â  Â - If you can't find the symbol you need, draw custom symbol
>     Â  Â  Â in gschem, save as .sym file.
>     Â  Â - Run a schematic design rule check (DRC) with âgnetlistâ;
>     Â  Â  Â fix any DRC errors.
>     2.) Assign footprints to all components in the schematic.
>     Â  Â You can do this in gschem or using gattrib (table view).
>     Â  Â - Import any special footprints from [6]gedasymbols.org
>     Â  Â - If you can't find an appropriate footprint, create one in the
>     Â  Â  Â âpcbâ tool. (Takes some practice, but after a while it
>     becomes
>     Â  Â  Â straightforward.)
> [...]

NOTICE: This email is a one to one communication and not for receiving
any offers or a mass relay of emails. Please refrain from subscribing
to this address will be considered as SPAM and will be reported to FTC
and other authorities. Thanks.