Re: gEDA-user: Migration form eagle to gEDA

   Recently I wrote a small script to automate some of the things needed
   to be done after the gEDA tools are installed:
   such as setting up per-user symbols and footprint directories; and
   adding these to the gafrc and gschemrc files, etc...
   The script (Setup_gEDA.sh) is well commented and can be downloaded from
   here:
   [1]http://sites.google.com/site/abhijit86k/linux/geda
   Its really quite basic, but i hope it helps someone...
   Thanks and Regards,
   ~Abhijit

   On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 22:41, Colin D Bennett <[2]colin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

   On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:17:39 -0700
   "[3]bsalinux@xxxxxxxxx" <[4]bsalinux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   > I guess that his question might have been asked before but is there
   > any howto or tutorial to migrate from Eagle to gEDA?
   > I tried Google searches but no meaningful information has been found.

     Do you mean migration of particular designs (schematic/layout),
     importing them to gEDA?
     Or do you mean migrating as a user?
     I have never used Eagle, so I can't be of any specific assistance in
     that regard. ÂHowever, I can say that while there are tutorial on
     gschem/PCB and the general gEDA workflow, there is a need for a
     good,
     complete tutorial for new users.
     Because gEDA is designed to support a wide variety of uses and
     workflow
     methods, I feel it is not immediately clear to new users how to
     proceed.
     Let me share my basic process for designing a circuit and PCB so you
     can get a feel for how the tools might be used:
     0.) Set up a revision control system.
     Â ÂSomething modern like git or Bazaar is best.
     Â ÂCommit frequently, and write descriptive commit messages!
     Â Â(I find this useful as a journal or log to come back to myself
     about
     Â Âwhat I've done on the design, not to mention saving yourself
     from
     Â Âscrewups...)
     1.) Draw schematic with gschem, placing symbols and drawing net
     Â Âconnections.
     Â ÂVarious steps required as part of drawing the basic schematic:
     Â Â- Import any special symbols not in the default library from
     Â Â Â[5]gedasymbols.org
     Â Â- If you can't find the symbol you need, draw custom symbol
     Â Â Âin gschem, save as .sym file.
     Â Â- Run a schematic design rule check (DRC) with âetlistâ     Â Â Âfix any DRC errors.
     2.) Assign footprints to all components in the schematic.
     Â ÂYou can do this in gschem or using gattrib (table view).
     Â Â- Import any special footprints from [6]gedasymbols.org
     Â Â- If you can't find an appropriate footprint, create one in the
     Â Â Ââbâool. (Takes some practice, but after a while it
     becomes
     Â Â Âstraightforward.)
     Â Â- Make sure the footprints you are using are correct for the
     Â Â Âparts you are going to use.
     Â Â- Check footprints to make sure that pin assignments from
     Â Â Âschematic symbol to PCB footprint is correct!! Watch out for
     Â Â ÂLEDs, diodes, polarized capacitors, etc. that may have pins
     Â Â Âidentified only as â and â. Â(I often use my own custom
     Â Â Âsymbols/footprints with more descriptive, logical pin
     identifiers
     Â Â Âlike â and â on diodes for P-type and N-type terminals.)
     3.) Lay out the board.
     Â Â- Import schematic into pcb.
     Â Â- Set âeferencesâor the design such as minimum copper
     Â Â Âclearance, board dimensions, layer stackup, etc.
     Â Â- Set up the grid as you prefer.
     Â Â- Place components.
     Â Â- Route tracks with lines. Â(You can use autorouter, but that
     is a
     Â Â Âpersonal preference... I have always done manual routing.)
     Â Â- Draw board outline on the âtlineâayer.
     Â Â- Add ground flood if desired.
     4.) Verify design.
     Â Â- Run DRC in the pcb program; fix any problems such as âpper
     areas
     Â Â Âtoo closeâetc.
     Â Â- Print out the PCB layout at 1:1 scale on paper and actually
     place
     Â Â Âthe parts on it. ÂThis is a sanity check to make sure
     footprints
     Â Â Âare correct and spacing around certain parts are sufficient
     Â Â Â(e.g., need enough spacing around some connectors, switches,
     Â Â Âjumpers, sockets, heat sinks, etc.).
     I'm no wizard, just a novice, but I've done a few dozen designs and
     am
     feeling very comfortable in gEDA myself so hopefully this is
     helpful.
     One thing that I've found is that it is worthwhile to âror-proofâ    yourself through your process. ÂSome of the common errors I've made
     are
     related to incorrect pin assignments or footprint assignments, so I
     take special care to validate those.
     Regards,
     Colin