Re: gEDA-user: Option to not display polygons

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 01:58:12 +0200
Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Just finished my latest, a bit larger layout (The one I bragged about
> lately). After I added polygons to pour the remaining board estate
> with copper, PCB slowed down significantly. Frames per second as
> measured with the benchmark() action went down from very usable 16
> FPS (*) to 1 FPS. Teh thin_draw_poly option from the setttings menu
> improved visibility but did nothing to the speed. This is no
> surprise, since it draws the same objects but with very transparent
> color.
>
> To get the GUI workable, I had to fall back to the old layer-hack:
> Move the polygons to separate layers and make them a layer group of
> their own. With this set-up the polygon layers can be selectively
> switched off and the GUI becomes snappy again. Since this is a four
> copper layers, I ended up with eight regular PCB layers.

I wish it was possible to toggle visibility of individual layers within
a group.  Then you could leave the polygons on their own virtual
layer.  This would be useful for many other purposes as well as for
your hack.

Regards,
Colin