Re: gEDA-user: PCB-1.6.3 in KDE

Mike Jarabek wrote:

> Eric Winsor <eric.winsor@sdl.usu.edu> said:
>
> > Eric Winsor wrote:
> > >
> > > I am trying to learn PCB, but I am finding that nothing much is
> > > working.  I am using PCB-1.6.3 and have the PCB manual and the command
> > > reference sheet.  But, doing things like <tab> to change the side of the
> > > board displayed or using the function keys to change modes doesn't
> > > work.  Most frustrating, I can double click on a part in the pcb-library
> > > window and drag its lite-blue outline around but I can't place it on the
> > > layout with any mouse button.  I am thinking that this is some problem
> > > with interfacing with KDE.  Any ideas anyone?
> > >
> > > Eric Winsor
> > OK,  I have tried several window managers (strip down basic kinds too)
> > and I get the same results.  So I must have a build or configuration
> > problem.
>
> This sounds like a case of missing application defaults. Just about everything
> in PCB is controlled by X-resources.  As part of startup, PCB reads
> `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Pcb' or a similar file, if this file is
> missing or corrupted, then you could see this behaviour.  One of the steps in
> building PCB is to mangle a master version of this file with m4 (or perl?) to
> create the file that actually gets installed, check your build directory or
> package to see if the file is correctly installed.
>
> --
>                               Mike Jarabek
>                                 FPGA/ASIC Designer
>    http://www.doncaster.on.ca/~mjarabek

The Pcb file is there in /usr/X11R6..... as well as in the src directory
of the build directory.  I get the same results running installed pcb or
the ./pcbtest.sh in the src dir.  I know that the Pcb and Pcb.ad files
are being read because I can go in them and change the layer colors and
such.

--
Eric Winsor
Stewart Radiance Laboratory