Re: gEDA-user: pcb-20040530 snapshot

Dan McMahill said:
> On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 05:14:05PM -0700, David Koski wrote:
>> Thanks Dan!
>>
>> On Mon, 31 May 2004 19:01:14 -0400
>> Dan McMahill <dan@mcmahill.net> wrote:
>>
>> >   - Ordering is preserved when writing output files so that diff
>> >    may be effectively used on pcb files.
>>
>> Does that mean it will be reasonable to use cvs on pcb files?
>>

> I certainly do, but I don't think I've ever bothered with doing
> cvs diffs on pcb files.  For me its been more useful as a way to
> manage some checkpoint backups along the way, tag a design
> (schematics and layout) before a review and before ordering a board.

I wholeheartedly agree with Dan-- even if you don't look at the diffs, a
version control system sure beats keeping around lots of separate backup
files. Plus, if you keep your CVS repository on a remote server, it's like
having a cheap backup system.

Although netlists are usually considered more like "object files" (since
they are generated from schematics), they are also useful to have under
version control so that you can go back and find out where certain subtle
changes occurred.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@ghz.cc