RE: gEDA-user: Light vs heavy gschem symbols?

nat wrote:

> Question for John
>
> > What I now do in gEDA (and used to do in Viewlogic)
> > is to create a library of symbols that corresponds to
>.> the parts stock that is to be procured and
>
> How do you deal with Rs and Cs in gEDA? Are you saying you create a
heavy
> symbol for each value?
>
> If the value is added manually, how would you, for example, link in a
> company part number or order code so the BOM generator could spit it
out?

Generally, the "heavy" symbol for such a thing will have footprint and
electrical specs, but no value (or perhaps a default value). So,
r0805p1.sym is a 1% tolerance resistor in an 0805 SMT package. In the
environments I've worked in, the kitters know what a resistor is, what an
0805 package is, and what 1% tolerance means, so when that info shows up
in the BOM, it's adequate. Sometimes I'll include in my informal notes a
pointer to a manufacturer and distributer, but for "generic" parts that
stuff doesn't go into the BOM.

A more automated flow would need a post processing step to obtain part
numbers and order codes from the part specs, but that generally doesn't
belong in the *design*: that mapping is neither one to one nor stable.

John Doty          Noqsi Aerospace Ltd.