Re: gEDA-user: Light vs heavy gschem symbols?

Your light vs. heavy nomenclature is a reasonable term.  Let me give you
some prospective about the issue base on my years of experience with big
bucks PCB design tool suites, mostly Mentor Graphics and some Cadence.
Both use the heavy approach with special database management software to
get the "library" of circuit symbols and footprints correct.  In large
companies specific employees are the only ones who can create symbols
and footprints for the dozens if not hundreds of engineers and pcb board
designers.  There is a very large economic incentive to have symbols and
footprints correct the first time.  Projects die and people get fired
when an expensive pcb comes back from the pcb vendor with footprint
errors.

The company "symbol and "footprint" library is its "golden jewel".  It's
the key link to design engineering and producing hardware.  The general
idea is called "schematic based design".  A circuit design engineer
dreams up the latest product on the schematic editor using symbols from
menu choices in the "company approved symbol library". These approved
"released library" symbols have all the attributes and links to all the
analysis and pcb layout tools used in the company.  There will always be
a few new components not available in the release library.  For these
symbols and/or footprints the engineer creates them from scratch or
modifies existing ones.  These are placed in a "development library".
Preliminary circuit designs usually have the majority of components that
have be proven before.  The bulk of the effort is in getting the
remaining few moved from the "development library" to the "release
library".  Some formal checking, verification and release process
applies.  The final transition to the release library is done by the
company "librarian".  While this sounds complex, and it is, the goal is
to have that ever growing "golden library".

It seems to me that the concept of a "release library" and a
"development library" could support both the newbies and the more
experience user that wants more freedom.  The newbie would be directed
to use "release library" symbols with specific footprint attributes and
the experienced user could do his own with "development library" parts.

John Dozsa