Re: gEDA-user: Help request

Hi --

1.  I don't recommend using Ubuntu to build software.  Ubuntu doesn't
come with the usual build tools (gcc, header files and all that)
installed.  That's why you had all the dependecies to deal with.

Ubuntu is good for e-mail and text editing, but not at all good for
the task you are attempting.  Try Fedora Core or SuSE instead.  They
are reasonably user friendly, and are *complete* distributions.

2.  If you insist on using Ubuntu, your problem here:

> cd . \
>           && CONFIG_FILES=3D CONFIG_HEADERS=3D[config.h] \
>              /bin/sh ./config.status
> config.status: creating [config.h]
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: [config.h].in
> make[2]: *** [stamp-h] Error 1

occurs because you are missing the file config.h.in in the directory
/home/backups/src/electro/geda/sources/geda/devel/libgeda.  Look in
the directory to verify that it exists.  If it doesn't, there was a
problem in either downloading the CVS stuff, or in createing
config.h.in.

This file is processed by the automake stuff to create the header file
config.h.  This might be an issue with your build tools.  Can you run
the following commands:

automake --version
autoconf --version
autoheader --version

(Does autoheader return a version string?)

Good luck!

Stuart