RE: gEDA-user: Help request

Adrian.

I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.  I
somewhat suspect that somewhere in trying to fix this problem it actually
got worse.

Try something along these lines:
-Delete the copy of the gEDA sources you're trying to compile
-Grab a copy of libgeda from CVS or from the download page
-Remove any special lines you've added to .bashrc and any other extra
environment variables you've added.  If you have anything that resembles a
standard Ubuntu install they won't be needed.
-Unpack and cd into the libgeda directory
-Run ./autogen.sh
-Run ./configure --prefix=/usr
-Run make

Let me know what happens at this point.  If something fails, one of a few
things could be wrong.  Firstly, you could have installed a broken version
of a library or tool.  For example I noticed that it looks like you
installed readline using the LFS instructions.  Thats probably not the
best idea, most software you'll ever need (including readline) will be in
Ubuntu's package repositories.  Just installing things from source using
random instructions often results in broken systems because you end up
with multiple versions of the software installed in different places at
the same time.  Alternately, you'll end up with things in a mix of /usr
/usr/local /opt, etc which also leads to brokeness.

If you need software, always look first in synaptic or apt-get.  If you
absolutely cannot find a package for what you need, use the --prefix=/usr
option when running configure.  This will make sure that files get put in
a location consistent with your Ubuntu system.

Also, if your environment variables are sufficently borked, it may be hard
to get them back to the stock configuration.  You might try creating a
temporary new user and try doing the compile using that user.  If you try
this, make sure you start with a virgin copy of the sources (ie: delete
your tree and unpack/download a clean copy).

This really isn't that hard on Ubuntu.  I just installed all of gEDA from
CVS a few days ago on my system.  After I had all the dependency packages
installed, I just did the ./autogen.sh, ./configure --prefix=/usr, make,
sudo make install process for each source and everything came out fine.

Hope this helps,
-David Carr