RE: gEDA-user: Help request

Hi all,

First, thanks you all for your response. Looks like I am the unlucky one or something is fishy with Ubuntu. I have checked as per Stuart recommendation the config.h.in file and it is there, but I have no clue if what is inside is right or not.
automake --version -> automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p6
autoconf --version -> autoconf (GNU autoconf) 2.59
autoheader --version -> autoheader (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
I have checked the missing dependencies suggested by David, the libgd2-noxpm-dev, nowebm, and libgdgeda-dev where the missing packages. Still, after I installed them I do have the same error:

Making install in share
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/backups/src/electro/geda/sources/geda/devel/libgeda/share'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/backups/src/electro/geda/sources/geda/devel/libgeda/share'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
/bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /home/work/programs/gEDA/share/gEDA
 /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./prolog.ps /home/work/programs/gEDA/share/gEDA/prolog.ps
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/backups/src/electro/geda/sources/geda/devel/libgeda/share'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/backups/src/electro/geda/sources/geda/devel/libgeda/share'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/backups/src/electro/geda/sources/geda/devel/libgeda'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/backups/src/electro/geda/sources/geda/devel/libgeda'
cd . && autoheader
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/backups/src/electro/geda/sources/geda/devel/libgeda'
cd . \
          && CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=[config.h] \
             /bin/sh ./config.status
config.status: creating [config.h]
config.status: error: cannot find input file: [config.h].in
make[2]: *** [stamp-h] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/backups/src/electro/geda/sources/geda/devel/libgeda'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/backups/src/electro/geda/sources/geda/devel/libgeda'
make: *** [libgeda_install] Error 2

real    2m44.669s
user    1m27.460s
sys     0m22.847s

I do realize the smart PATH work around from /root/.bashrc is just useless. I have seven new lines at the end of .bashrc:

#aditional required variables
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/work/programs/gEDA/lib
PATH=$PATH:/home/work/programs/gEDA/bin
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/home/work/programs/gEDA/lib/pkgconfig
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH

When I am opening a shell and I am running:

$source /root/.bashrc
$echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$echo $PATH, and
echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH

I am able to see the variables. If I am closing this shell and verify again with $echo ..., the variables are not any more there. Only after I am running $source /root/.bashrc again for any new shell I can see them. I suspect this is bad. I have no idea how to set PATH variables in Ubuntu.

So, I switched to SUSE 10.1 AMD64. With not too much trouble (just installing some missing dependencies like texinfo) I was able to install the CVS version of gEDA. I was getting ready to celebrate when sadly I realized I am not out of the woods. I do have a similar problem with the stubborn PATH. I used the standard set of export commands:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/work/programs/gEDA/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=/home/work/programs/gEDA/bin:${PATH}
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/work/programs/gEDA/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Only for an open shell I can set the PATH if I am exporting the command. As soon as I am closing that shell I am not any more able to see the gEDA PATH. And wait, is coming with more presents: many components like pcb are not installed. There is no trace of pcb on .../gEDA/bin. If I am not wrong, somewhere on gEDA site is an advice to delete any trace of the whole gEDA package before attempting any kind of update and clean-install everything. So, to install pcb I need to do what?

I do not wish  to be mean, I have a great desire to learn linux and gEDA. Still, I can not stop myself not to characterize the gEDA installation procedure as ferociously anti-user-friendly. I hope this is a random result and not a policy with some hidden rationale.

Please help me to figure out how to make a complete installation from CVS (I suspect this is the place where I hope to find any new patch and the latest and greatest version). And also, I need help to get rid of the PATH beast.

Could somebody tell me where to redirect my request for a painless one-click online update button inside of gEDA?

With many thanks,
Adrian Nania