gEDA-user: gEDA for Ubuntu i386 and AMD64 CVS automatic setup program

Hi all,

It took me a while to dig for clues through the responses I have received. Nevertheless, i received some! I am grateful for this Linux way of doing things.
So, my adventure of installing gEDA on Ubuntu has a happy ending. I was all about the standard default packages Ubuntu is using by default. The main reason it was automake1.4 installed together with  automake1.9 and not removed. When checked with automake --version it was reported as version 1.4 Now I need to learn how to install the remaining parts of the whole package.
I was able to summarize and create a small setup program for automatic installation of gEDA from CVS on a basic fresh Ubuntu. It is quite easy I suspect to make small changes for any other Linux flavor. It is working on both Ubuntu i386 and AMD64-K8 and could be a friendly option for a lot of new users like me. Just open the executable file and replace all over my default PATH:  /home/work/programs/gEDA with your personal preference. Note: just be carefull when you replace the special line:
sed -i 's/prefix?=\$(HOME)\/geda/prefix?=\/home\/work\/programs\/gEDA/' Makefile
to keep the required added back-slashes in front of any special character.
One more thing: I was in hell and back a few times and I was wasting a lot of time over the trivial mater of  PATH. See http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2793 Quote:
?I think ubuntu carry debian heritage regarding PATH definition. It is overwritten by every daemon, program, layer ( cron, bash, login, pam_env all happily overwrite each other settings and especially administrator ones).? End quote
I figure out a way to overcome this particular problem, it is implemented on my setup program. I am calling the geda program not relaying on the default PATH management system, but exporting in the calling procedure any required variable. I thing this is not the single possible way but this is what I could come up with and it is working.
I am not familiar with posting things on wiki or similar places. If this setup program could be useful for other people I will be happy to see it somewhere on gEDA world.

Thanks you all,
Adrian Nania