RE: gEDA-user: Help request

Went there, done that. Let me quote from an E-mail I sent Sunday, after
two hard working nights (as an newbie):

So, my adventure of installing gEDA on Ubuntu has a happy ending. I was
all about the standard default packages Ubuntu is using by default. The
main reason it was automake1.4 installed together with  automake1.9 and
not removed. When checked with automake --version it was reported as
version 1.4 Now I need to learn how to install the remaining parts of
the whole package.
I was able to summarize and create a small setup program for automatic
installation of gEDA from CVS on a basic fresh Ubuntu. It is quite easy
I suspect to make small changes for any other Linux flavor. It is
working on both Ubuntu i386 and AMD64-K8 and could be a friendly option
for a lot of new users like me. Just open the executable file and
replace all over my default PATH:  /home/work/programs/gEDA with your
personal preference. Note: just be careful when you replace the special
line:
sed -i 's/prefix?=\$(HOME)\/geda/prefix?=\/home\/work\/programs\/gEDA/'
Makefile
to keep the required added back-slashes in front of any special
character.
One more thing: I was in hell and back a few times and I was wasting a
lot of time over the trivial mater of  PATH. See
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2793 Quote:
"I think ubuntu carry debian heritage regarding PATH definition. It is
overwritten by every daemon, program, layer ( cron, bash, login, pam_env
all happily overwrite each other settings and especially administrator
ones)." End quote I figure out a way to overcome this particular
problem, it is implemented on my setup program. I am calling the geda
program not relaying on the default PATH management system, but
exporting in the calling procedure any required variable. I thing this
is not the single possible way but this is what I could come up with and
it is working.

And you can see the attached "setup" file...

Adrian Nania