gEDA-user: Questions on Prototyping with SMT Components

Hello:

I have made a design which I will need to prototype and test.

The issue that I face is that almost all of the components are
SMT type components, including a Xilinx FPGA and CPLD. I have
never had to deal with smt type components before; they obviously
wont fit into my trusty solderless breadboard that I have.

I have done some research and found that there are SMT to
DIP adapters (where you take a 40 pin SMT chip like a CPLD
and solder it onto a small PC board that has 40 pins that
will plug into a solderless breadboard.

I have never done SMT type soldering. I have done some
research on line and found a wide variety (and wide variety
of prices) for these 'hot air gun' type soldering tools
used for SMT work. I see them range from about $150 all the
way up to $1,500 or more.

I plan to have my boards contract fabricated and assembled,
but I need to do the prototyping as well as the assembly
of my first boards for testing.

Have any of you had experience with working with SMT's including
40 to 100 pin chips with very closely spaced pins? Do any of
you have recommendations for appropriate soldering equipment?
Do I have to spend the $1,200 plus or can I get away with something
in the $400 to $500 area?

I would greatly appreciate any help; if this is not the correct
forum for this type of question, perhaps can someone please
refer me to a more appropriate place?

Thank you

Truly yours,

Mark Allyn