Re: gEDA-user: Questions on Prototyping with SMT Components

On 6/26/06, Mark Allyn <allyn@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Have any of you had experience with working with SMT's including
40 to 100 pin chips with very closely spaced pins? Do any of
you have recommendations for appropriate soldering equipment?
Do I have to spend the $1,200 plus or can I get away with something
in the $400 to $500 area?

I would greatly appreciate any help; if this is not the correct
forum for this type of question, perhaps can someone please
refer me to a more appropriate place?

Here is what I have been using ---

Equipment
----------------
Metcal SP200-11 available new at www.hmcelectronics.com for $240
          SSC-754A tip 30deg bend, 0.02" tip
7A tweezers (curved tip)
Luxo illuminated magnifier

Solder
--------
Kester 24-6337-6422 .015" diameter solder, SN63PB37, water soluble flux
Kester Flux Pen 2331-ZX
Solder Wick

(* jcl *)

--