Re: gEDA-user: OT: UV exposure?

On Jun 27, 2006, at 12:43 PM, John Doty wrote:
I might suggest only putting a window on the areas that require illumination.

Yes. UV may not be the only problem. Put a big window on a box, let sunlight in, and IR will make the insides of the box *very* hot. What is the application? Might want a filter anyway if, say, you want to be sensitive to direct sun but not to blue sky. A green filter from a camera shop might be what you want here: let in medium wavelengths (where your diodes will have their best quantum efficiency anyway), reject the extremes.

The application is an optical direction finder for lightning. Since the devices will only be powered at night anyway, I was thinking of some sort of mechanical shield that covers the assembly during the day, but I live very close to the coast so the salt air will do nasty things to anything mechanical.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Cape Coral, FL