Re: gEDA-user: How's my footprint?

I've used this part and several others in the same package.  My $.02 worth...

- I would also recommend using the .01 mil resolution co-ordinate syntax.

- My experience is that most shops like the part co-ordinate origin to be the centroid, not on pin 1.  I've also had problems setting the "mark" or at least always seeing it, but you should place the origin at the centroid regardless.

- Regarding the copper clearance - you can probably default it - especially if there is no outside layer ground plane.  I would not default the solder mask opening however.  These leads are close together.   If your pin spacing would result in thin slivers of resist between pins you should explicitly set the solder mask openings to that they overlap.  Having no resist between pins is actually preferred over having a sliver of mask floating around and landing on some other pad where it doesn't belong.  (I've heard this from several fab shops.)

- Another hint.  Consider connecting Vin to a really large trace or piece of copper.  This will help in reducing the temperature rise of the part - this package has very high thermal resistance.

Joe T