Re: gEDA-user: Getting symbols from ASIC libraries into gschem: one approach

Jeff Trull wrote:

> So that's what I did.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are better
> approaches - would anyone care to comment?  I'd also be interested in hearing
> from anyone else out there who's tried to apply gEDA to ASIC design.

The points on a circle method of converting the graphical Cadence/EDIF symbol sounds
hard to make 2-way, but it got you out of the closed format at least.  How many
IP library symbols have fancy graphics?

Could they be handled in a way where
you skip recreating arcs and lines, and just map the info onto new generic
symbols a la djboxsym. (and brethren)?  Could the numbers of fancy drawings left
in IP libraries be handled case at a time and drawn onto a simple box version by hand?

You will want to talk to Viasic Bill Cox.  He is doing ASIC with some gEDA parts, but modified
with additional features and a data-engine core called datadraw.   Search for datadraw, gnetman and viasic
and read about that.

John Griessen