Re: gEDA-user: Getting symbols from ASIC libraries into gschem: one approach

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 09:33:36 John Griessen wrote:
> Jeff Trull wrote:
> > So that's what I did.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are better
> > approaches - would anyone care to comment?  I'd also be interested in
> > hearing from anyone else out there who's tried to apply gEDA to ASIC
> > design.
>
> The points on a circle method of converting the graphical Cadence/EDIF
> symbol sounds hard to make 2-way, but it got you out of the closed format
> at least.  How many IP library symbols have fancy graphics?

If by "fancy" you mean "containing arcs", it's quite a few - or/nor,xor/xnor,
and all the ao/oa combinations with their different sizes.

> Could they be handled in a way where
> you skip recreating arcs and lines, and just map the info onto new generic
> symbols a la djboxsym. (and brethren)?  Could the numbers of fancy drawings
> left in IP libraries be handled case at a time and drawn onto a simple box
> version by hand?

I could, I guess, but part of the point was improved clarity for those
building and reading the schematics.  I should make clear that the procedure
actually worked and I have a good, readable symbol library now.  I just
wanted to document the process I followed so there would be something out
there for anyone in the same position as me (I couldn't find anything on the
net prior to building this flow).  Of the 747 symbols in the third-party
library, all but 21 were successfully translated into .sym files.  The
remainder have undetermined (so far) issues and I'll probably end up building
those .sym files by hand.

> You will want to talk to Viasic Bill Cox.  He is doing ASIC with some gEDA
> parts, but modified with additional features and a data-engine core called
> datadraw.   Search for datadraw, gnetman and viasic and read about that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,
Jeff