Re: gEDA-user: How well does gEDA work on OpenBSD?

Tom Zych wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just started looking at gEDA and I have a question.
>
> Background: I've been using Debian for several years and I'm
> becoming increasingly fed up with their extremely slow and
> unpredictable release cycle, the fact that serious bugs sometimes
> languish for years with no action, and the way that important
> packages may not be updated for long periods. Recently-observed
> examples: their gEDA package is 20060123 - a year and a half old -
> and their gschem package has three important bugs which have been
> open for over a year.
>
> So I am shopping for a new OS. OpenBSD looks quite good and has the
> latest version of gEDA. So, for those who use (or have tried to use)
> gEDA on OpenBSD: how well does it work?

are you sure?  I looked at
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/cad/ and didn't see geda,
the pcb is old, there is a gnucap (0.35), and no ng-spice.

That said, I see no reason why you couldn't build geda on openbsd.  I
routinely build pcb and geda on NetBSD and also Solaris with no real
problems.

Be warned that it also seems that the guile openbsd has in the ports
system is 1.6.7 which is ok for the current geda snapshot but not for
cvs versions or the next snapshot.

NetBSD should have everything you need in pkgsrc.  I've not checked FreeBSD.

-Dan