Re: gEDA-user: Switching regulator question

Randall Nortman wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 08:53:37PM -0400, Dan McMahill wrote:
> [...]
>> Personally I avoid aluminum electrolytics like the plague.

> And I'm in the unfortunate situation of designing for 70C ambient,
> natural air convection for cooling.

That temp means some expensive caps, so you could design for minimizing
number of high quality caps -- like a spacecraft design.  How much power?
Horsepower?

Do give ceramic multilayer caps a look.  They are much more dense now than ten years ago,
and Taiwanese and Chinese and making them high quality and low cost if
you need to plan for production.  If you design
a low cost one layer board of CEM-1 instead of FR-4 you could use up more area
holding rows of MLC caps and have a good design.  But then you need to have
assembly of wire jumpers to make your crossovers if you only have one PCB layer...
else surface mount jumpers to make crossovers with.

John Griessen