Re: gEDA-user: Per-project component libraries

Just to add a slightly different view from my point of view...

Generally in most $$$ tools the components are selected from a common library. When you "archive" the design it captures a copy of each component into a local copy. This archiving also then alters the library config file so that it will only look locally(design archive = local) for any components first. If any additional components are required it can retrieve them from the common directory as it won't find them in the local directories. Mind you this behaviour is possibly a user defined capability.

I also agree with the principle of a symbol with a part selector.  For example if a resistor gets selected a small window could pop open and one can select the value/footprint/manufacturer that they wish. These tables of parts could be generated using a perl script (I currently do this with Cadence Concept/Allegro) It saves a lot of time...

Mark