Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb options with xsch2pcb

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 00:08 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Just tried to use xgsch2pcb with my current project. Unfortunately,
> update of the layout failed because of missing options. With gsch2pcb I
> give a bunch of options in a project file, like suggested in the
> tutorial. Among others it gives the path to the local libary of
> footprints. The proj file contains:
>
> /----------strom.proj----------
> schematics strom_0_master.sch
> output-name strom
> skip-m4
> verbose
> elements-dir /home/kmk/lilalaser/geda/footprints
> use-files
> \-----------------------------
>
> If I try to insert this into strom.gsch2pcb, the application complains
> about unknown optins.

This is fixed in GIT now, unknown options just print a harmless warning,
and all .gsch2pcb content (including comments) is now preserved when
saving from xgsch2pcb.

http://git.gpleda.org/?p=xgsch2pcb.git;a=summary
git clone git://git.gpleda.org/xgsch2pcb.git

The ability to edit the various options is still not added, but I did
make a start on the options dialog:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/xgsch2pcb_options1.png
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/xgsch2pcb_options2.png

I need to devise a suitable UI for picking and viewing search paths
though, and code the backend to the dialog.

> There does not seem to be a man page or some
> helpful output with the option "-?".

No one wrote this feature yet, nor a man page. Since xgsch2pcb is
targeted towards being a GUI tool for those uncomfortable with the
command line, it hasn't been a great priority.

This said, I use xgsch2pcb for my work, and I'm quite happy with a
command line.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,