Re: gEDA-user: Pay someone to do PCB work for me?

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Timothy Normand Miller <theosib@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:36:01 -0400, Timothy Normand Miller wrote:
>
>> Is it okay to ask on this list to hire someone to do a PCB design?
>
> It is ok. IMHO, it is still ok, if the resulting design design were
> closed source. That said, I definitively appreaciate the free as in
> freedom approach.
>

>> Probably no more than 4 layers, and a relatively simple design.
>
> Can you be a little bit more specific? How many components? Any special,
> non standard footprints? What size? Digital, or analog? How much power?
> What frequencies are involved? (...)

Mostly just a SoC, some power supplies, headers, and other connectors.
 However, one of our guys wants to integrate resistors and small caps
into the PCB, because it's cheaper in large volume.  I understand that
the free tools can't do that, at least not directly.  Is there an
indirect way to do it?

I am assuming you want low values of resistance and capacitance.
What kind of tolerances do you require? For a cap you could create a footprint
with parallel pads on the component and solder sides.
For resistances create a footprint consisting of a series of overlapping pads.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org