Re: gEDA-user: poll: How do you geda?

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 09:55 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> I am curious, just how heterogeneous the group of geda users and
> developers is. So I thought, I'd start this little non-random sample poll
> in the mailing list:
>
> * What OS do you run geda applications on?

Linux: Ubuntu Hardy Heron (LTS), running on Core Duo T2500 (2Ghz), Intel
945GM built in video chipset. My Cairo version of PCB is still slow  :(

I've built and run on AMD64 SuSE 10.2 as well.

> * How did you install your copy of geda apps?

>From git, in $HOME/gEDA. When release testing, I build and use .deb
packages.

> * Which apps do you use. What is your typical workflow?

gschem->pcb, probably via xgsch2pcb as I can never remember off the top
of my head what goes in a .gsch2pcb project file.

Most of my hierarchy block symbols are created with a modified version
of djboxsym from a Makefile. Repeated blocks (various channels in an
input stage etc..) might be auto-generated with sed and a Makefile from
one master-schematic.

> * Did you (have to) modify portions of geda to suit your needs?

Yes, gschem zooming defaults (finer steps), PCB.. got bored loosing
tracks underneath tracks, and coded a cairo implementation. (SLOW).

Also, various non-default settings in gschemrc.

I modified PCB's CAM output to help co-operate with the low-quality CAM
software our in-house board guys use, but that didn't help in the end -
I got it wrong. I now use gerbv to re-export PCB's plated drill file in
a more format more amenable to the board guys.

> * What is the general flavor of your projects? (analog, digital, HF)

Switched mode power electronics / control thereof / some digital.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,