Re: gEDA-user: hierarchy refdes's

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 05:00 -0700, Steve Meier wrote:
> I don't know if pcb supports this but...
>
> In the Mentor Graphics Pads program you can make the refdes strings
> invisible and manualy replace them with strings.
> Each hierarchical block gets a silk screen line drawn around it. The
> block gets a string naming its hierarchy
>
> Thus you would have a block labled X12 and within that block a resistor
> labled R12

That was how I was thinking of doing my board.

PCB does support showing the "description" or "value" instead of
"refdes". gsch2pcb uses "description" to stash the package it has used,
so this is out.

The netlister does correctly transfer value=... attributes, so it would
be possible to hack around this by using value="R1" or something like. A
further option would be to modify the netlister script to take from
"shortrefdes=..." or even to intelligently strip off the suffix from the
real refdes. The fact this ends up in PCB's "value" field does strike
somewhat as a kludge though, and you wouldn't get any automatic zoning
of hierarchy levels.

I did think of modifying PCB's netlist view code to treat "/" as a
hierarchy separator, and make a tree of nets to view. For large designs,
that could be useful.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton