Re: gEDA-user: Using SMT

SparkFun has some good material for learning some basic SMT techniques:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/hdr.php?p=tutorials

See about 1/2 down, “Surface mount soldering tutorials.”

Personally I go one of two routes:

(1) reasonably fine-tipped temperature-regulated soldering iron, the smallest diameter solder I could find on Mouser, and solder wick.  Good part removal is virtually impossible with this setup.

(2) hot air rework station, solder paste for initial part placing and part removal.  Fine-tipped temperature-regulated soldering iron, small diameter solder, and solder wick as well for touch-up.

There’s lots of other inexpensive techniques as well but that’s what I’ve used so far with decent results.  The nice thing about #2 vs. other reflow techniques (i.e. oven, hot plate) is that you can slowly build and test parts of the board without having to reheat the entire board.  Oven/hot plate is better though once you have finished testing initial prototype and want to build a larger number of boards – I just haven’t done that yet.

It’s not that hard once you get the technique down.

--James