Re: gEDA-user: Using the currently available binary I end up with this response

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 21:25 -0400, Gregg Levine wrote:
>> Hello!
>> I just downloaded and extracted the currently available binary, which is:
>> 0.0.2, and the readme for it suggested that I bring issues here.
>>
>> I also installed it accordingly for regular users, and opened a
>> terminal and logged into it via the user thus selected. (I suspect
>> I'll need to actually log into the system using the user I chose.....)
>>
>> However here is what the system told me:
>> jimkirk@jimkirk:/usr/local/geda-0.0.2/bin$ ./geda
>> /usr/local/geda-0.0.2/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72:
>> GtkWarning: could not open display
>>   warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
>> Warning: Failed to load gettext translations
>> /usr/local/geda-0.0.2/lib/geda-xgsch2pcb/gui.py:50: Warning: invalid
>> (NULL) pointer instance

>> Now this is a KDE interface, as my distribution gave up on Gnome
>> something like two to three releases previously.
>
> I'm surprised this would be the error messages you get if GTK wasn't
> working, but that does look like a possibility. (Or a strange version of
> PyGTK).
>
> Gnome is not required for any of gEDA, just GTK. If GTK works for
> gschem, gattrib etc.., then it "should" be possible to make it work with
> the Python based tools. If not, then you may just have to start the
> tools individually from the command line.
>
> BTW.. what distro is this?
>
> --
> Peter Clifton
>
> Electrical Engineering Division,
> Engineering Department,
> University of Cambridge,
> 9, JJ Thomson Avenue,
> Cambridge
> CB3 0FA
>
> Tel: +44 (0)7729 980173 - (No signal in the lab!)

Hello!
It happens this is Slackware. I've been a confirmed user of Slackware
for the past nine years having given up on Red Hat for my work.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@xxxxxxxxx
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."