Re: gEDA-user: Using the currently available binary I end up with this response

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 21:25 -0400, Gregg Levine wrote:
> Hello!
> I just downloaded and extracted the currently available binary, which is:
> 0.0.2, and the readme for it suggested that I bring issues here.
>
> I also installed it accordingly for regular users, and opened a
> terminal and logged into it via the user thus selected. (I suspect
> I'll need to actually log into the system using the user I chose.....)
>
> However here is what the system told me:
> jimkirk@jimkirk:/usr/local/geda-0.0.2/bin$ ./geda
> /usr/local/geda-0.0.2/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72:
> GtkWarning: could not open display
>   warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
> Warning: Failed to load gettext translations
> /usr/local/geda-0.0.2/lib/geda-xgsch2pcb/gui.py:50: Warning: invalid
> (NULL) pointer instance

> Now this is a KDE interface, as my distribution gave up on Gnome
> something like two to three releases previously.

I'm surprised this would be the error messages you get if GTK wasn't
working, but that does look like a possibility. (Or a strange version of
PyGTK).

Gnome is not required for any of gEDA, just GTK. If GTK works for
gschem, gattrib etc.., then it "should" be possible to make it work with
the Python based tools. If not, then you may just have to start the
tools individually from the command line.

BTW.. what distro is this?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,