Re: gEDA-user: PCB build changes

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 21:28 +0000, Frank Bergmann wrote:
> Am Fri, 29 May 2009 07:25:27 -0400 schrieb Dan McMahill:
>
> > I just pushed some changes to part of how the PCB build system works.
> > There may be some rough edges left so I'd appreciate any feedback and
> > problem reports around this change.
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> just for the recommendation of a clean git repository, it could
> be better to discuss patches before applying them to the repo.
> git is designed to support this ...

Unfortunately gEDA just doesn't have the active developer community to
do that. The only way patches are tested and refined is when they are
applied and people test them on the numerous different architectures and
tool versions which gEDA is built on.

You can't expect all patches to be tested on all different architectures
before committing them - development would come to a complete halt.

Dan's comment wasn't a reflection that the patches aren't complete, or
are sub-standard, it was just a heads-up in case someone discovers any
side-effects to the changes. (Different autoconf versions often manage
to throw up grief which the original developer doesn't encounter!)

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,