Re: gEDA-user: PCB build changes

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 00:17:22 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 21:28 +0000, Frank Bergmann wrote:
>> Am Fri, 29 May 2009 07:25:27 -0400 schrieb Dan McMahill:
>>
>> > I just pushed some changes to part of how the PCB build system works.
>> > There may be some rough edges left so I'd appreciate any feedback and
>> > problem reports around this change.
>>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> just for the recommendation of a clean git repository, it could be
>> better to discuss patches before applying them to the repo. git is
>> designed to support this ...
>
> Unfortunately gEDA just doesn't have the active developer community to
> do that. The only way patches are tested and refined is when they are
> applied and people test them on the numerous different architectures and
> tool versions which gEDA is built on.
>
> You can't expect all patches to be tested on all different architectures
> before committing them - development would come to a complete halt.
>
> Dan's comment wasn't a reflection that the patches aren't complete, or
> are sub-standard, it was just a heads-up in case someone discovers any
> side-effects to the changes. (Different autoconf versions often manage
> to throw up grief which the original developer doesn't encounter!)

Well probably I misinterpreted Dan's post a little bit. But see, there is
a comment to the GIT HEAD changes. And with Dan's challenge to provide
feedback it seemed to me that this could better discussed before
commiting them.

Sorry for wasting time like that, but I am new to this project, still
digging up the code and have to learn a lot about its community,
developers and processes.

> Best wishes,
dito

Frank.