Re: gEDA-user: PCB build changes

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ok, here is what I have found.

[snip]

Thanks for the lesson on maintainer mode, never really knew what it
was all about.

> So we have 2 options that I've tested and both seem to work.
>
> 1)  remove AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
>
> 2)  now that we can detect if we're building from git sources then if we
> are building from git sources and we are building the docs then
> forcefully enable maintainer mode (along with a message so the user
> knows what has happened).
>
> I think I can go either way and would be curious about other opinions
> (opinions including some justification as to why).

I would vote for #1, as I'm in the camp that doesn't buy the
justification for maintainer mode; it seems like a hack for bad
dependencies, the rules should only fire when necessary, and when they
are necessary, why wouldn't you want them to fire? You're going to
need all the tools anyway to build from git sources (unless all those
./autogen.sh generated files are in the repo, which feels wrong), so
you aren't removing any build-time dependencies.  I guess maybe it is
more justified for a HUGE project where remaking them could take a
really long time, and a spurious timestamp change or something could
cause grief; however, I don't think pcb is big enough.

Maybe keep maintainer mode but enable it by default and allow
--disable-maintainer-mode, thus those who really don't want those
rules in can disable it if they want? Although that may be too
non-standard to ever really get used?

pcb.info in the srcdir makes sense I guess.  Can you manually add
dependencies for version.texi beyond pcb.texi to account for included
sources?

Jared