gEDA-user: Free logic optimization software

   Hi,
   I teach a basic digital circuit design curse at the university for
   first-year students. I plan to incorporate HDL, behavioral
   descriptions, simulation and logic optimization next year.
   I find Icarus Verilog plus gtkwave and the rest of GEDA tools ideal
   for the task, but cant find a way to do logic optimization within the
   geda framework. The icarus 0.8.x README tells logic optimization can
   be enabled through the "-F" option, but it is not documented in the
   man page. Logic synthesis to edif works fine but optimization is not
   applied.
   Some simple optimization targeting basic logic (AND, OR, NOT) would be
   ideal for me. Integration in Icarus would be perfect.
   Do you know of available options within geda or free software.
   Thanks.
   --
   Jorge Juan