Re: gEDA-user: More flexible rotated text for 1.6.0, font-sizes etc..

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 12:00 +0100, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:58:01 +0100, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > A. Match postscript point size - so a 10pt font prints / views as a 10pt
> > font. (When printed on a title-block which matches the size of the paper
> > - printed with no margin).
> >
> > This takes the definition of 1pt as 1/72 of an inch, and scales the
> > fonts assuming gschem units are 1/1000th of an inch. (Oh - and this size
> > doesn't actually correspond to anything explicitly measurable on the
> > typeface, it is just the logical design height of the font).
> >
> > Screen sizes change (until we bump schematic schematics)
> > Postscript sizes remain (until we bump schematic sizes)
> > Conversion tools required to fix on-screen sizes.
>
> This is my preferred solution, FWIW.

Part of me just wants to be evil and auto-migrate at load time. (Changes
hit disk when the user does File->Save).

on read: If version < 1.6.0, fontsize *= 1.3
on save: Save the new size

This requires us to allow floating point sizes to preserve the font
sizes exactly. (Fortunately the floating point number will terminate,
since the scale factor is 1.3, not some horrible fraction).

We could still add the "pt" syntatic sugar when saving, so the new sizes
aren't just magically inferred by looking at the file-format version
number.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,