Re: gEDA-user: More flexible rotated text for 1.6.0, font-sizes etc..

On Jun 8, 2009, at 8:30 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 02:32:34 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
>> The only grief comes with the currently magic behaviour at 180
>> degrees,
>> which basically resets to 0 degrees rotation, and flips the anchor
>> point
>> to the opposite corner of the text box.
>
> To me, this very magic is a grief. It tires to second guess how I
> want to
> orient text in the schematics. Text is placed differently relative
> to the
> mark when flipped. Took me quite some time to figure the logic behind
> this seemingliy weird behaviour. I'd be happy to kiss it good bye.

But it's extremely common (at least for me) to want the graphics
upside down, while most people have difficulty reading upside down text.

The missing ingredient here is a vertical reflection. The common
gschem idiom is a 180 degree rotation combined with a horizontal
reflection. Nobody gets upset that reflected text only gets its
anchor reflected, not the characters. So if the rotation/reflection
idiom, simulating a vertical reflection, is really the major use of
180 degree rotations (and at least for me it is), the special 180
degree behavior makes sense.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx