Re: gEDA-user: More flexible rotated text for 1.6.0, font-sizes etc..

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 02:32:34 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> The only grief comes with the currently magic behaviour at 180 degrees,
> which basically resets to 0 degrees rotation, and flips the anchor point
> to the opposite corner of the text box.

To me, this very magic is a grief. It tires to second guess how I want to
orient text in the schematics. Text is placed differently relative to the
mark when flipped. Took me quite some time to figure the logic behind
this seemingliy weird behaviour. I'd be happy to kiss it good bye.

> Font sizes give some grief as well. It would be nice if the on-screen
> font size matched the print font

Yes, text on screen definitely should match printed text. Anything else
is a pain. All too often I need to place text so that it just fits.

> 1. Within gschem - possibly via some nasty popup dialog / wizard when
> you load an old file.
>
> 2. Command line based - so old designs can be (if desired) batch
> updated.

Number two would be reasonable. It should be supported by a big, fat
release note.

> Or.. do we accept the on-screen shrinkage, and place greater value on
> consistency of .ps printed output from existing schematics?

Please don't. This would add to the heap of feature cruft that tends to
make long lived software projects gradually more difficult for newbies to
grasp.

Just my two ¢

---<(kaimartin)>---