gEDA-user: More flexible rotated text for 1.6.0, font-sizes etc..

Any objections to removing the 0,90,180,270 limits to rotated text?

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/screenshots/gschem_rotated_text.png

Need to teach the print output to handle it of course, but that
shouldn't be too hard.

The only grief comes with the currently magic behaviour at 180 degrees,
which basically resets to 0 degrees rotation, and flips the anchor point
to the opposite corner of the text box.

I'm thinking that it should be possible to seamlessly transform any old
schematic which used a 180 degree rotation on load (based on file-format
version number).

Font sizes give some grief as well. It would be nice if the on-screen
font size matched the print font - which means that I drop the magic
constant in o_text.c to "1.0" - matching the font's size in points to
the requested font size in the file-format. (The old gEDA font is about
1.3x taller than it claims to be).

Since auto-magically bumping people's text sizes on load (which will no
doubt include some rounding), seems like an "evil" thing to do, I'm
considering the idea of adding a couple of adjustment processes:

1. Within gschem - possibly via some nasty popup dialog / wizard when
you load an old file.

2. Command line based - so old designs can be (if desired) batch
updated.

Or.. we could just declare that we don't really care about updating
users' schematics. In any case, I'm tempted to bump the shipped symbol
library font sizes - to give consistent before/after on-screen
rendering.

Or.. do we accept the on-screen shrinkage, and place greater value on
consistency of .ps printed output from existing schematics?

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,